Monday, January 18, 2010

Forty three

I know in my head that we find purpose in being in relationship with God. This is THE purpose of life, right? Yes, I agree.

Then how come I feel so listless? That my life doesn't really have any set direction? I feel like I am cruising along in life.....yes, taking opportunities as they come, but not having an overall purpose.

Does anyone else feel this way? Sometimes I feel guilty because I know that as a Christian I DO have purpose, but I often don't feel fulfilled. We have the job of spreading the gospel, that is a great job to have. I'd love to have other goals as well, personal ones.

I feel like 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'....but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for. I'm hoping it's a phase that will pass because it is really just a feeling - I know I have purpose in Jesus Christ and building relationship with God and other people. I just don't feel it at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. I get what you mean. I feel like I'm waiting for something big to happen all the time; for God to show me some giant hole that I will fill.

    I mean it doesn't have to be something big like being a missionary or getting the opportunity to preach to thousands, but just something that says "here, this is my purpose for you". And yeah, our purpose is to present the gospel but I would also like something specific. Something that says "this is why you're here, only you can fill this hole"

    But as I look back, in hindsight I can see little things that I've done that have influenced people in big ways. In year 10 I invited my friend to youth group, she's not a Christian but her sister and Mum are now. And it's like, hey, God used me to further the kingdom and I didn't even realise it - I was just going along and doing my thing.

    But maybe that's it. Thinking back to beach mission, Pete pointed out that we are all different because each of us individually can effect people in different ways. There is something each one of us can do that no one else can.

    I can evangilise to my friend Jess in a way that no one could ever replicate.

    You can minister to your friends LIKE NO ONE ELSE. EVER. EVER EVER EVER in the history of time.

    and maybe that's our purpose, as vague and un specific as it seams. We should live in the present and not wait for the future because, in reality, God's using us in EXTREMELY specific ways.

    It's kind of a "there is no spoon" answer.

    Maybe "what's my purpose?" is entirely the wrong question. I'm not sure what the correct one would be, or if there need be a question at all.

    In short, yes, I have the same thing. Sorry for the added ramblings while I was trying to figure out what I was saying as I went along :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Polly. Always blessed to have your comments!

    ReplyDelete