Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pumped...and pooped

I got my pump on Monday and it has been amazing. The first day I had it, I didn't have a reading over 9.5. This probably doesn't mean much until you realise I was getting readings of 15 and above almost everyday (for the non-diabetians reading this blog, the aim is to get readings between about 5 and 8).
The freakiest part was actually putting the cannula in. It's put in around a little needle that gets taken out when inserted. I was totally freaked out the first time I had to do it, sure, I've had needles everyday for the majority of my life but the unknown is still scary. Turns out it doesn't hurt at all, a tiny bit of stinging afterwards but incredibly manageable.
I just had to put it in again (the cannula and infusion set need to be changed about every 3 days) and it was a bit scary. Although I wasn't planning a set change until tomorrow, my blood sugars were heading up and so I thought it was to do with needing a set change. I'll have to wait for the results to see if it worked.
So overall it has been amazing for blood sugar control, but it's a lot more work than needles. It's a big thing, to be attached to a machine 24/7. Hopefully I'll get used to it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment